How Living Remotely Will Scale Your Remote Business
As business owners around the world embrace managing their teams and businesses remotely, the number of digital nomads is on the rise.
Thousands of people have moved to far-flung corners of the globe, exploring new places and cultures between zoom calls.
But moving abroad can be expensive. In some cities, the cost of living is eye-watering high with rent a particularly big concern.
However, there are ways to make it work and enjoy life as a remote business owner without breaking the bank and in fact, save thousands on rent and bills a month that can be used to invest in the growth of your business.
I started my remote business journey in London in 2014, where I was living at the time I started my business. My goal was to start a remote business so that I could travel the world, and live in awesome tropical places all while earning an income in the UK.
Remote living wasn’t popular back then, especially in the UK. But I wasn’t going to let anything stop me. I gave myself a two-year time frame from starting the business to being fully set up to travel.
In London, my living expenses were around £1500 a month, which was just for rent, bills, and food.
I was working so that I could pay for my life rather than anything else. Although starting a business in London came with a lot of opportunities, financially it was extremely difficult.
In 2016 I set off on my adventures; started traveling Europe which also broke the bank, and soon set off to South Asia where the £1500 for living expenses alone that I spent in London allowed me to live like royalty.
When landing in Bali, a popular destination for digital nomads, my rent was only £170 a month at first, I couldn’t believe how cheap it was.
I soon realized that living in these cheaper beautiful countries didn’t only suit my personality but also allowed me to invest in growing my business, hiring teams, implementing software for growth, and developing my own internal software.
This allowed me to have a greater impact on my clients and team.
In today's article, I am going to provide 10 countries that are super cheap to live in so that you can save money and invest in the growth of your business rather than maintaining an expensive life.
10. Tallinn, Estonia
- Tallinn is the capital of the small Baltic country of Estonia.
- Ideal for remote workers, Estonia is an extremely digital society.
- It boasts free wifi hotspots everywhere, and 99 percent of the public services are available on the web.
- Nearly one-third of citizens vote via the internet.
- The country also offers a one-year digital nomad visa.
- Six months rent in a one-bedroom flat: £3,437 (€3,942).
9. Bratislava, Slovakia
- Situated at the foot of the Little Carpathian mountains, this historic city straddles the Danube.
- You can reach both Vienna and Budapest by boat in 70 minutes and two hours respectively.
- There is no dedicated digital nomad visa in the country, but would-be ex-pats can apply for temporary residency permits.
- Six months rent in a one-bedroom flat: £3,354 (€3,847).
8. Athens, Greece
- This ancient city is a mix of historic significance and modern cool.
- Ancient ruins are spread throughout the city - but so are buzzing bars and cafes.
- If you’re a fan of balmy weather, Greece is the spot for you, with its warm Mediterranean climate.
- The country also boasts a dedicated two-year digital nomad visa.
- Six months rent in a one-bedroom flat: £2,580 (€2,959).
7. Riga, Latvia
- Another Baltic gem, the city of Riga dates back to the 12th century AD.
- Remnants of its past are everywhere - its old town is a UNESCO world heritage site - but there are modern and well-equipped co-working spaces too.
- Remote workers can stay in Latvia for one year on a digital nomad visa.
- Six months rent in a one-bedroom flat: £2,313 (€2,653).
6. Budapest, Hungary
- Budapest is known for its rich history, stunning architecture, and great nightlife.
- It attracts more than 30 million visitors every single year.
- It’s also in the heart of Europe, bordering seven different countries, making it a good base to explore further afield.
- Hungary’s digital nomad visa is known as a “white card.”
- To apply you have to submit an initial application at a local Hungarian embassy.
- Six months rent in a one-bedroom flat: £2,306 (€2,647).
5. Bogota, Colombia
- Packed with street art, museums, and architecture, Bogota has plenty to offer to culture lovers.
- As of October 2022, a new digital nomad visa is available to foreign nationals employed outside Colombia to reside in and work remotely for up to two years.
- Six months rent in a one-bedroom flat: £1,818 (€2,087).
4. Ankara, Turkiye
- The capital of Turkey, it is the second largest city in the country after Istanbul.
- It’s a modern metropolis and a great gateway to the rest of the country’s stunning landscapes.
- There is no specific digital nomad visa in Turkiye but you can apply for a residency permit.
- Six months rent in a one-bedroom flat: £1,303 (€1,504).
3. Koh Lanta - Thailand
- Koh Lanta is a place where you can find yourself, and it will change your life.
- I originally went to Chiang Mai when visiting Thailand because it’s a digital nomad hub in SE Asia and very cheap to live in.
- But then I had a reality check and realized I could live on an island rather than in a city.
- I discovered a place called Kohub coworking and space and made my way to Koh Lanta. I fell in love.
- The food, the people, the digital nomad scene, the Friday night Karaoke—it was one of my favorite experiences of being a digital nomad, and remote business owner.
- Koh Lanta has much more to offer than just amazing beaches and great weather.
- There’s also an incredible community of digital nomads who are happy to welcome you with open arms into their world!
2. Bali - Indonesia
- Bali is the digital nomad's paradise.
- You can get rooms for very affordable prices in Bali.
- When I spent 6 months there I paid £170 for a room and £300 per month for an entire apartment with a pool overlooking a rice field and the volcanic mountain Mount Agung.
- My scooter was only £30 per month.
- Bali is also known for its digital nomad scene and has been for years.
- I love the culture, the food, the architecture, the nature, and driving around the little villages on my scooter with the fresh smell of flowers and incense from prays.
1. Koh Phangan - Thailand
- I love this place so much that I call it home.
- I've been traveling for 8 years, and after a long time without a permanent base, I finally have one here.
- It's full of entrepreneurs and digital nomads who enjoy being adventurous while living in the beautiful jungle.
- My rent is only £220 a month for a beautiful one-bed house in the jungle.
- My yard is surrounded by coconut trees, animals, and mountains across the road.
- With beautiful white sandy beaches close by.
One of the most amazing benefits of living in these cheaper countries is the connections you make, the people you can hire at very affordable costs and the great quality of work.
My videographer team is based in Koh Phangan and my marketing team is in India. I also hire teams in South Africa, where I am from.
I love to provide opportunities to people from countries that are close to my heart and wouldn't have the same opportunities if it weren't for this remote world.
Running remote is the BEST.
Running remote is not only great for the soul, and opens your heart and eyes to so many different cultures and wonders of the world but it’s also amazing for Scaling remote.
If you are reading this because you are considering the change, let me give you a life-changing piece of advice, DO IT!!!! You will never look back, I can guarantee you.
If you're an entrepreneur or someone who owns their own business, you know that there is no better feeling than watching your business grow.
I've been running my business remotely for years now and it has been a game-changer for me!
No more long commutes in traffic or being stuck in an office all day long just to get work done.
No more outrageous rent bills, no more living in a place you hate just because you need to make money.
You design your life and live it the way you choose to live. Your business, your life, your terms.
Learn the benefits of hiring remote teams and how to hire them with ease.
Join our FREE course, The Basics Of Remote Hiring, where I teach a step-by-step process on how to hire remote teams and the benefits thereof.
#remotehiring #remotebusiness #futureofwork #lifeoffreedom